Who Is a Marxist?

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Apr 28 21:13:50 MDT 1995

Who cares who is a Marxist? The only questions that matters are: Are our
views true? Are they well supported by plausible argument? Are they
connected with something useful to the struggle for emancipation? As for
whethey they are "Marxist," remember what the Old Man said: "In that case
I am not a Marxist."

If some dubious character, a skinhead antiZionist, or, more likely, a
Stalinist or social democrat, wants to claim the mantle Marxist, I won't
dispute this. I will just disputre the accuracy and cogency and utility of
her concrete positions. If someone wants to deny that I am a Marxist,. i
don't care. I will just maintain the acxcuracy, etc.

The only boundaries that matter are those of rationality and service to
the working class and oppressed.

--Justin Schwartz