Taylor

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sat Apr 29 20:51:48 MDT 1995

I'd like to repeat my recommendation of the work of the analytical
anarchist Michael Taylor, whose work tends to be neglected by anarchists
because it's hard-headed and analytical, by Marxists (even analytical
Marxists) because it's anarchist, and by bourgeois political theorists,
even rational choice theorists (and Taylor is one) because it's lefty. The
work is of intrinsic intellectual interest in showing how far left you can
get with a basically rational choice framework (farther than you think!),
and it matters to Marxists who worry about whether communism, with a
stateless society, is a sensible goal. A good and nontechnical place to
start is with Taylor's Community, Anarchy, and Liberty, then move on to
the more technical Cooperation and Society.

Also, another analyticak anarchist of interest is Robert Paul Wolff (not
to be confused with the post-modern Marxist economist Richard Wolff). He
has  little book called In Defense of Anarchism. But he's more interested
in Kantiann arguments for anarchism as a moral demand than with the sort
of modelling of the possibility of amarchism than Taylor provides.
Nonetheless he's also always clear and interesting.

--Justin Schwartz