Waterworld

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Aug 2 12:48:05 MDT 1995

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, David Langston wrote:

> I haven't seen it yet, but "Waterworld" looks like another
> right-wing apocalyptic fantasy in which the world has
> been reduced to primitive tribal conflict <clip>

Louis Proyect:
You actually touch on something interesting here. The murky worlds of the
militia incorporate a number of "back to the land" types of themes. With
mainstream environmentalism in the back pocket of the oil companies, its
no surprise that rural Americans soak up a lot of right-wing ideas.
Costner may be viewed from within this context. Anyhow, I might be wrong.