DECONSTRUCTING MARILYN MONROE, again (fwd)

Spoon Collective spoons at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Thu Aug 3 13:01:44 MDT 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 09:13:27 -0700
From: mjackson.DOMAIN1 <mjackson.DOMAIN1.oramail at zeus.cc.pcc.edu>
To: owner-marxism at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Subject: Re: DECONSTRUCTING MARILYN MONROE, again

To those complaining about how postmodernist analysis turns Monroe
into a "bloodless text": give me a break.  As if Marilyn Monroe was
simply a human being, appreciated by others as such, until the
"academic assholes" come along and played their deconstructionist
words games with her.  My God, Marilyn's not even the woman's name,
for Christ's sake.  Her hair was not blond.  Marilyn is a product of
the Hollywood movie star making machinery.  She was never a real person
to most of us: she was a _star_, an icon, a symbol of sexy American
woman (dependent, coy, bright but not too bright).  What people in
our society saw of Marilyn was commodified images--not Norma Jean.

And you can't get much more abstract and bloodless than that.

Miles Jackson
mjackson at zeus.cc.pcc.edu