The Right of Nations to Self Determination

jwalker jwalker at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 4 07:08:08 MDT 1995

> From: Roderick Hay <rhay at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>
> Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 21:39:52 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: War poised to expand
>
> I don't understand this "right of nations to self-determination". What is
> a nation but a bourgeois reification. The workers have no nation.

Roderick,

Perhaps this alleged right bothers you because you're thinking of
"nations" as political entities. I think people in political theory used
to distinguish more carefully than they do now between states (political
entities) and nations (cultural entities, I believe).

If we make this distinction, the right in question becomes the right of
people to self determination.  And surely *that's* something we can all
support, eh?

John D. Walker
jwalker at email.unc.edu