Reply to Jerry Levy

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 4 11:05:43 MDT 1995

Louis Proyect:
You see, it's all too easy to reach some hasty conclusion when we're
confronted with the horrible image of Hitler. But it would be good for
all of us to apply our Marxist tools of analysis to cases which are not
so clear-cut.

Last night, I was treated to the spectacle of Norman Schwarzkopf and Dan
Rather narrating a special CBS show on the Pacific War. It was filled
with the standard stock footage of British and American troops being
hauled off to prison camps. Not once did these talking heads address the
question of what U.S. and British troops were doing over there to begin
with. What was the United States doing in the Philipines? What was England
doing in Burma?

Ordinarily, I enjoy answering hypothetical questions, but in this case
I'll have to say wait until I've done some research (I have a shopping
bag full of books from Butler Library). I don't like to respond to thorny
questions with one or two sentences off the top of my head. Of course, I
give my full permission to others on the list to continue doing so.