Academic marxism??

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Aug 5 23:07:52 MDT 1995

Paul C:
------
This encouraged the masses in England,
so that when the tax was introduced there
a year later, there were massive riots
by the poorest sections of the proletariat,
culminating in the resignation of Thatcher
and the withdrawal of the tax.

By following the principles that I outlined,
the campaign led to the most significant
working-class victory since the miners
strikes of the early 1970's which overthrew
the Heath government.

Chris B:
--------
As a middle class Englishman I must support
the thrust of Paul's report, remarkably
impressive though it may seem to people outside
Britain.

I would specifically support the principle of
from the masses to the masses, though it is not
easily done, and things do not always come together
to bring about the resignation of a political leader.

The massive riots if I understand correctly were by
people who were on state benefits, and this provides
openings as well as problems for class struggle.
They had impact because there was also a widepread
sense among many strata that the poll tax was unjust.

The very frank discussion of class on this list
raises the question of whether middle class people
going into working class jobs, are doing it for a positive
political purpose, for guilt, or for remoulding.

Ideally a revived marxist movement would have people
working in different classes and strata where they
perform best. That includes academic work, of the
sort that Paul and others have done on marxist economics,
which is also a necessary arena of struggle.