List size and form

Valerie Scatamburlo valeries at YorkU.CA
Sun Aug 6 23:30:44 MDT 1995

On Aug 7, 12:30am, Jon Beasley-Murray wrote:
> Subject: Re: List size and form
> Welcome to the list, Marcus, and thanks for your suggestions.
> Personally, I'm always happy for some kind of feedback, and also I'd be
> willing for there to be a vote of some kind on splitting an "applied"
> marxism list from an "academic" one.
>
> Again personally, however, I wouldn't be in favor of that idea for a
> number of reasons.  Primarily because I think one of the good things
> about this list is its heterogeneity: there is often discussion of a
> high caliber on what would seem to be "academic" questions as well as the
> same on questions which would appear to be more immediate and "applied."
> Yet these two strains cross-fertilize each other, and those after more
> esoteric theory are often asked to explain not only terminology but also
> practical implications, and others are interrogated on the theoretical
> presuppositions of their arguments.  In the process, this divide itself
> is put under question, and occasionally it's possible to see the extent
> of its artificiality.
I agree with Jon and would like to refute the binary opposition proposed
between applied Marxism and theoretical discussions of Marxism -
whatever happened to the dialectical understanding of the relationship
between theory and praxis - is this not one of the central components
of Marxism itself???
mreover, this is not the only split or divide that this list straddles,