Modernity /response -reply

Jukka Laari jlaari at kanto.cc.jyu.fi
Mon Aug 7 09:00:27 MDT 1995

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Ralph Dumain wrote:

> If this is a collection of essays, would it be possible for you to
> list the table of contents?

"Modernity & Identity" - toc:

1. Marshall Berman: "Why modernism still matters"
2. Richard Rorty: "Cosmopolitalism without emancipation:
                    a response to Lyotard"
3. Christa Buerger: "Modernity as postmodernity: J-F Lyotard"
4. Peter Buerger: "The disappearance of meaning: essay at a
                   postmodern reading of Michel Tournier, Botho
                   Strauss and Peter Handke"
5. Brian Longhurst: "Popular representation: recasting realism"
6. Douglas Kellner: "Popular culture and the construction of
                     postmodern identities"
7. Martin Jay: "Scopic regimes of modernity"
8. Dieter Hoffmann-Axthelm: "Identity and reality: the end of the
                             philosophical immigration officer"
9. Sharon Zukin: "Postmodern urban landscapes: mapping
                  culture and power"
10. Paul Rabinow: "A modern tour in Brazil"
11. Mike Featherstone: "Postmodernism and the aestheticization
                        of everyday life"
12. Peter Burke: "We, the people: popular culture and popular
                  identity in modern Europe"
13. George Marcus: "Past, present and emergent identities:
                    requirements for ethnographies of late
                    twentieth-century modernity"
14. Jonathan Friedman: "Narcissism, roots and postmodernity:
                        the constitution of selfhood in the
                        global crisis"

And then there is brand new & very interesting book,

Craig Calhoun: "Critical social theory: culture, history, and the
challenge of difference." (Oxford, UK & Cambridge, USA: Blackwell 1995)

which obviously will present the same modernity/identity questions. Also
Calhoun will obviously argue why all that theory is somewhat useful... I
just got the book, so I won't tell yet whether it's worth of trouble to
read it. In introduction Calhoun, however, seems to be presenting the
same stance I've tried to articulate (no postmodernist hysteria, no
conservative modernism), so I'm pretty optimistic at the moment, despite
of his explicit (reactionary?) acceptance of Habermas.

> My dick is hard for modernity.

Oh, I see, you're one of those boys...?  Mine is hard for some very
special women instead.

> -- I don't understand, but I also don't care.  I'm fed up with
> these Europeans; they're dead.

Greetings from the graveyard,

Jukka Laari