idenitity politics

Donna Murch dmurch at violet.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 10 14:34:39 MDT 1995

a quick response to doug henwood's assertion that race is a slippery category

- I would agree that at the margins of class and color, race can become
quite slippery.  And of course, in its historical constitution and use it
is quite obviously an empirical fiction.  Nevertheless, it is very
important to distinguish between race as biological construct and the lived
experience of racial difference.  Race functions as a social aggregate, and
it is always interesting to me in seminar, for example, to see the
willingness of white students of quite different political allegiances
renounce its importance.  Why is it that race seems so much more slippery
and illusory to precisely the group that benefits from its operations?