Marx's "anti-Semitism"

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 11 17:41:58 MDT 1995

Louis Proyect

Hey, fuck you, asshole, I've had 3 vodka martinis and I'm not in any mood
to put up with any shit.

My beef with you is not over whether you're Jewish or not. I'm a lapsed
Jew of the first order. Everytime I walk past a synogogue, I curse
Yahweh. I only date Christians or Buddhists.

What galls me is this: You jump into a discussion with all sorts of
opinions about Shahak and Cantor. All I did when this discussion of
Marx's antisemitism came up was go to my bedroom and grab the first two
books relevant to the discussion and try to add something substantial. I
have a time and energy-consuming job and there's just so much I can do to
prepare an intelligent reply to the dozens of people I have to argue with
each week.

SO THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY TO YOU: Impart some of your own
knowledge, Mr. Routledge. You get paid to pore through texts, I get paid
to pore through Unix scripts. I'm trying to work through some major
issues around imperialism, war and Yugoslavia. My impression is that
you're in some office in Soho with Mozart playing in the background.

Oh, I'm wrong, am I!!!! That's not the real Eric Zinner. Well, excuse me,
the only Eric Zinner that I'm interested in is the one that can impart
some knowledge to the list. I'm happy that you think Shahak is
"unreliable". Bring me the name of somebody who isn't, or shut your trap.