"human" vs. "person" ?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 14 09:49:10 MDT 1995

I was away for the weekend, so I may be coming a little late to this, but
for a bunch of Marxish types we're not being very historical about the
abortion issue. As Kristin Luker points out in her remarkably dispassionate
book Abortion & The Politics of Motherhood, for almost all of recorded
human history, first trimester abortions were largely noncontroversial, and
second trimester ones accepted though not as unambiguously. In early 19C
America, it's estimated that a quarter to a third of pregnancies ended in
abortion - now it's about one in four. The US anti-abortion movement was
founded in the mid-19C by physicians hot to improve their status and
increase their fees by shutting down midwives and non-degreed abortionists.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
[dhenwood at panix.com]