feminism/abortion-state of the debate

jwalker jwalker at email.unc.edu
Mon Aug 14 19:48:46 MDT 1995

Robert,

There's some interesting stuff in your recent post. I have a number of
questions, but here are two anyway:

1. Why do you think the Hippocratic Oath forbids abortion and assisted
suicide? I don't have the text in front of me but I've dealt with it
before, and it's alway seemed to me that it requires interpretation like
many documents, interpretation that depends on our best moral
understanding. So if abortion and Kevorkian are OK in the first place,
then the H.O. won't block them...

2. What's wrong with the Enlightenment perspective (or did you say
"viewpoint")?

3. What's Marxist about the position you described as "Existentialist
Marxist"?

John D. Walker
jwalker at email.unc.edu