Black Belt South, Nation of Islam and islam

Jj Plant jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 18:06:00 MDT 1995

>This may be an important approach in uniting with the positive
>things that draw people to the Nation of Islam, including their
>position on land, while undermining the negative things.

>Chris B, London.

I have a long running argument with some comrades in East London on
working with islamics. I will not work with islamic groups which have not
denounced the murder threats to Salman Rushdie (and the actual murders of
translators and publishers of Satanic Verses). The comrades, while not
using Chris's exact words, propose a similar position. I recall how large
numbers of islamic organisations mobilised for the London demonstrations
against Rushdie, and a Labour councillor spoke on TV supporting the
murder threats. In my view, such positions are no more acceptable than
fascist positions, and people who hold them may not be permitted a place
in political life. My position is not a popular position to hold.

jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk