From each according to their ability...

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Wed Aug 16 09:45:59 MDT 1995

Anyhow, I find the phrase in the "Critique of the Gotha Programme:"

"In a higher phase of communist society, after the enslaving
subordination of the individual  to the division of labour, and therewith
also the antithesis between mental and physical labour, has vanished;
after labour has become not only a means of life but life's prime want;
after the productive forces have also increased with the all-round
development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth
flow more abundantly--only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right
be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: from each
according to his ability, to each according to his needs!
	(_Selected Writings_, ed. David McLellan, Oxford: OUP, 1977, 569)

I presume this text can be found on the marx/engels project at Colorado,
whose direct URL I don't have to hand, but which can be found via. the
marxism page http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/mainmarx.html

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray