'net news about Newt (fwd)

Dennis P. Tyler dptyler at hamlet.uncg.edu
Thu Aug 17 16:08:47 MDT 1995

Apparently there is a statue of several famous American women in the
basement of the Capital.  It was presented 75 years ago when the 20th
Amendment was passed, and stuck in the basement while numerous statues of
famous men were placed upstairs. There have been several resolutions to
move it, and Newt is blocking the most recent one.  There are two stories
about why.  1. Newt doesn't want to be associated with radical/liberal
women (not clear if this means Lucretia Mott, Susan B. Anthony and
Elizabeth Cady Stanton or the groups wanting it moved).  2.  It's too
heavy to move.

Here are various addresses to find out more about that and to get Newt's
e-mail address if you'd like to tell him your thoughts on this or any
other issue.
dennis