From KKKanada to Kroatia

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Aug 22 19:16:09 MDT 1995

Jim:
----

> But it could help provide enough space for democrats in Croatia to
> regroup, and build mutually supportive links with democrats within the
> other lands of the former Yugoslavia.
>
> At any rate, with your internet skills, how about a little field research?

	You seem to have something in mind.  I don't.  Care to share it?

Chris B
-------

Of course it depends on time, ease and estimate of yield for effort.
But the Croatian members of the Balkan peace groups will now be under
very heavy pressure. Some e-mail enquiries of a generally sympathetic
nature, which don't compromise them, might elicit Croat peace supporters
in Canada. They may give tips on Croat nationalist fundraising events
in Canada. Alernatively there may be other routes for tracking down these
links.

Emigre communities that have done fairly well surely will use e-mail.

The occasional picketing eg of a visit by Gojko Susak, might help
take the shine off the positive publicity, and a nought or two off the
size of the cheques. Isn't there a Croat language society or newsheet in
Canada?

Do you not know one person who knows one progressive Croat? Afterall
wasn't Tito a Croat? Really it is necessary to assume that whatever the
present adverse events, the great majority of Croats and other former
Yugoslavs, knew the benefits of a peaceful, reasonably just, state
order. Even ones who hate Greater Serb atrocities, might be responsive
to questions about which way Croatia is now going.

I am not suggesting you do all this by yourself Jim, but you asked for
ideas. I was partly trying to respond for its own sake, and also trying to
illustrate, that if we pursue the subject we can identify a broadly
coherent collection of policies that would be better from a marxist
point of view for the former Yugoslavia. We neither have to tail behind
our own bourgoisie nor do nothing at all.