Zimmerwald, WWII and the UN

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Aug 23 07:24:14 MDT 1995

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995 g.maclennan at qut.edu.au wrote:

> Q.s Did Browder genuinely not foresee the outbreak of the Cold War
> following WW2?  What happened to Browder?

Louis:
When the cold war broke out, Browder got dumped because his
liquidationist views did not conform to the new world situation. The
signal of his fall from favor was a blistering attack on him that
appeared in the French CP party organ by Maurice Thorez. Browder did not
foresee the cold war simply because Stalin didn't. The Soviet leadership
was sort of in the same position as the current AFL-CIO leadership in the
United States. It just didn't "get" that the US ruling class was going to
lay waste to the union movement in the 1980's and 90's. I mean, after
all, when George Meany and Richard Nixon play golf together, how can
their interests possibly clash.

By the way, it seems that everbody on this list except me and 2 or 3
other extroverts have shared information about their political
background. I'm curious to see what's going on the Australian left and
your own scene in particular. I have followed the progress of the groups
that the Percy brothers were connected with to some extent. What's
happenin', mate?