Jameson

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Aug 24 06:18:01 MDT 1995

The interesting thing is that I think he's *not* a slavish imitator of
things European.  In fact, compared to many at least, he's very quick to
point out the specificity of the US.

For example, I suspect Ralph would have been suitably pleased by
Jameson's comments at the Bourdieu conference here at Duke this past
April: essentially Jameson said "well, he's French, so what does he know
about the US?"

Equally, with (say) Deleuze and Guattari, Jameson's position is that this
is the European theory that is only in fact the pale imitation of the
American practice of the Sixties.

But of course neither is he a knee-jerk critic of Europe as some kind of
intellectual graveyard.  Hence his enthusiasm for (say) the Frankfurt School.

Take care

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Literature Program