Hard Time for the left in Japan

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 25 15:48:32 MDT 1995

>Our task is to rebuild union movement from down side through
>resistence to rationalization.

I was struck by this comment of Iwao's.  In the US, authors like Florida
and Kenney have studied Japanese corporate rationalizations as the key to
growth, as well as the uplifting of the worker from Taylorist alienation.
Why is your group opposed to such rationalizations, held to be a positive
model for all workers by many radical theoreticians? I think that I would
be sympathetic to critiques of the Florida and Kenney promulgation of these
rationalizations, but I would certainly like to hear more.

Rakesh