marxism on veggies -Reply

Lisa Rogers EQDOMAIN.EQWQ.LROGERS at email.state.ut.us
Tue Aug 29 10:17:19 MDT 1995

I heard a bit on veggies on NPR [national public radio, usa]
yesterday that seems apropos.  USDeptAg sponsored a radio show
starting in 1930's, I think, to promote ag products, provide recipes
for young brides, etc. It's sole character was "Aunt Sammy", wife of
Uncle Sam, of course.  Part of its express agenda was to get people
to grow and eat more variety of veggies, with some nutritional aims.

They had a hard time getting people to try broccoli, because it [and
some other 'exotic'] veggies like zucchini were considered Italian,
and Italians were identified with anarchism!

Lisa