marxism on veggies

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Tue Aug 29 10:25:52 MDT 1995

I agree with Doug's take on veggies. But, I think it is important to add
that we as individuals are influenced in our tastes and desires by our
interaction with social and economic institutions. Consequently, while we
have our own preferences for veggies, it is difficult for us to determine
how our preferences were shaped and influenced by those institutions.

Having said that, I agree with Doug that a narrow economic or political
view on tastes should be avoided. Just because Doug enjoys gourmet food
and cooking, I still consider him to be a Marxist and will defend his
right to eat argula as he pleases.

Jerry