Marxism and the Militias: The Right the Far Right and the

Matt D. afn02065 at afn.org
Tue Aug 29 10:32:04 MDT 1995

i said:

>>.  The few folks in my office
>>who express sympathy for the militias are working class, I can assure you.
>>For that matter, they're pro-union.  What I'm suggesting, I guess, is that
>>while the militias themselves must be radically transformed or destroyed,
>>folks that are in the militias are not necessarily beyond the pale when it
>>comes to organizing on the left.

Rakesh responded:

>Matt, you may be able to organize with them "on the left." But do you think
>Reed, an African-American, is paranoid when he thinks that only incipient
>fascists would be attracted to the Militia or Rush Limbaugh, that the
>choice to join the Militia already indicates a decision to find a way out
>of crisis at the expense of the femi-nazis, spics, Ahrabs, Zionists and of
>course niggers?  One can avoid some of this vermin in unions too.  Do you
>think Reed is just trying to be politically correct?

Hmmm.  Let me clarify.  I'm saying that the class composition of the
militias cannot be usefully summarized as "petty bourgeois" -- at least with
the information now available.  I'm also saying that if there are working
class elements in the militias now, that doesn't mean they've passed beyond
the bounds of our organizing interest or abilities.  I agree that the
militias are incipiently fascist.  I agree that there are conscious
fascists, racists, etc. in the militias, and that white-supremacist elements
in particular were instrumental in the formation of the militia movement.  I
disagree that the consciousness of everyone who might be in a militia is
fascist, incipiently or otherwise.

I don't think the left should seek to "take over" the militias.  Should we
form our own militias?  I don't know.  I tend to agree with Paul C. that we
should, however, oppose gov. attempts to crack down on the movement.  I
mean, we know towards whom the Anti-Terrorism act is really directed, don't we?

-- Matt D.