Reading about revolutionary history

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Tue Aug 29 21:05:03 MDT 1995

  Bryan A. Alexander wrote:

> It seems that a careful look at the Spanish Civil War and Revolution can
> be quite useful for current analysis.

Bryan is correct -- there are many lessons that can be learned from the
Spanish Civil War. Beyond that, there are lessons to be learned from all
revolutionary experiences, especially from the Paris Commune onwards.
Marxists are, by definition, revolutionaries. The expression "armchair
Marxism" is oxymoronic. We *need* to read about revolutionary experiences
in order to prepare ourselves for the the role that we must play in
history and so that we can avoid making the same mistakes over and over
and over and over ... again.

Jerry