To Scott M. and Louis P.-Forget the Cubs and/or Yanks

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Wed Aug 30 15:39:12 MDT 1995

> 	Good thing you didn't try shitting on the Red Sox!  It feels like
> 1918 again... .  The curse of the Bambino is finally lifting so don't get
> too excited about the Phillies or the Mariners (yuch! yuch!)... .
> 	Who in his right mind could like the Yankees anyway?

I also am a Yankee fan. I understand Louis's disappointment. I understand
Red Sox fans as well don't like losing, but, nonetheless I enjoy them
losing (or better yet, "choking").

One of the great social divisions in this country that is not talked about
much is the sports division. Many millions of people hate millions of
others based on their allegiance to sports teams. This is a very real
division among working people (and others). It can even lead to death as
some football matches in Europe and the death of a Columbian goalie have
demonstrated. We *should* take no glee in these artificial divisions among
working people. But, we *do* because we also are affected by the social
institutions that encourage competitive sports.

Jerry