Marxism and the Militias

Bryan A. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Wed Aug 30 16:00:47 MDT 1995

A basic problem with this sort of analysis - state better than fascists -
is that fascists are radical statists, arguably the most extensive
state-fetishists of all time.  Choosing between status quo state and a
Reich is nothing other than an option of capital and its concommitant
engines of force.
	Supporting the state against terrorism is more of the same.
Modern states thrive on the mysterious nomadic terror-figure, the gnomic
other that can be detected and assigned anywhere, to anyone, across
history.  The US, France, UK, Italy have all demonstrated their
spectacular thirst for the terrorist; put another way, spectacular
capital needs a good cast of characters, all bonding together in a
hypermediated mutual aid society.  Put still another way, think of Marx's
gothic image of capital as werewolf and vampire.  Most of the time we see
the charming noble or the calm human; but when we glimpse the predator,
it is necessary to distract us with other beasts, other prey.  Support
the state by all means, then - extend the range of the spectacle! enhance
its repertoire.  If you are assuming the state to be a site of struggle,
you'd better avoid looking at the ritual games it stages.

Department of English University of Michigan