Class essentialism?

Matt D. afn02065 at afn.org
Thu Aug 31 11:44:08 MDT 1995

Gary wrote:

>I would love to have the same chance of winning the lotto
>this weekend ($12m) as the Militias have of being fascist.

Like fascism and the militias, the lottery is objectively anti-working
class.  One difference between your mode of analysis and mine is that I do
not conclude from your endorsement of the lottery that you are necessarily
"not a worker" (i.e. a lumpenized, petty bourgeois peasant).   See what I'm
saying?

The strategic position I'm promoting is that broadly and in the final
analysis, class determines consciousness and not vice-versa.

-- Matt D.