Peasant Rebellions and antisemitism

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sun Feb 5 09:25:12 MST 1995

My Hungarian Jewish grandmother used to scare me, as a small child, by
saying "Chmielniki will get you if don't behave!" I was surprised when I
learned as a teenager that Chmielnisky was a real person, a progromchik,
and so was my grandmother when I told her. It was just an expression she
had learned from her mother, as far as she was concerned. This was in the
early and mid-60s.

Apropos of nothing at all my grandmother also met Trotsky when SHE was a
young teenager and he stayed briefly in the Bronx, where she grew up.

--Justin Schwartz