zapatista(Marcos)

Oliver Froehling ORFROE00 at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Mon Feb 20 13:56:53 MST 1995

Actually, I think this claim that Marcos is gay comes out his own writings,
in which he in prose style was trying to show that the Zapatista struggle
has a lot in common with other struggles around the world. I believe he
identified himself with a number of minorities and groups on the margins,
and one of the lines was " I was a dishwasher in San Francisco, I am gay", or
something to that extent. This line got then promptly picked up and
sensationalized by the Mexican government press. I think it was totally taken
out of context, but then, does it really matter?
I think I have the original writing and can forward it if there is interest.

Oliver Froehling                               Dept. of Geography
(606) 257-6992                                 University of Kentucky
ORFROE00 at UKCC.UKY.EDU                          Lexington, KY 40506-0027