telecom and state

EMO Ankara emoank-o at servis2.net.tr
Wed Feb 22 05:46:23 MST 1995

hello,
I will prepare a article about privatization in telecom setors.I need=20
some data and discussion on the subject.
Britain privatized telecommunications in 1 the early 1980s,creating two=20
new private transnationals,cable&Wireless and British=20
Telecoms.Au=F3tralia,Argentina,Chile,Japan ,Mexico,New zealand and=20
Venezeulla have followed suit.The process will be accelerat=E5d by the=20
European Community's plan to deregulate by 1998.

Cable&Wireless =E8as invested heavily in what it calls the Global digital=
=20
Highway.That is system through which it plans to run PRIVATE NETWORKS for=
=20
big transnational companies.There is a great competition between the=20
majoR TELECOM TRANSNATIONALs to lead the way in providing these private=20
networks.Demand for them f=F2om transnational business was one ofof t=BCe=
=20
major driving forces of deregulation and privatization.BT has made it the=
=20
main focus of its international investment,through a special division set=
=20
up for purpose.
The development of private corporate telecoms network is perhaps the=20
greatest challenge to the authority of the state ari=F3ing from telecom=20
privatization -and its implications go we=B6l beyond that sector itself.
According to M.Irwin and M=AEM=E5renda of the University of New Hamps=B4ire=
:
"The role of corporate network is directand immediate.Networks render it=20
increasingly difficu=BEt for nation-states to impose=B0=BAaxe,control capit=
al=20
flows,regulate economic activities over =FChe long term.Private networks=20
can serve to erode the power of the nation-state."
The emphases the role played by privatization of key utility services in=20
spiralling process of transfer of power away from political control=20
through the state to transnational corps and finansial instituions.

Anny comments are wellcome.
Onder Ozdemir