Role of the state

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 22 07:18:44 MST 1995

I heard Leo Panitch speak the other night in NY. He stated that there's a
tendency on the part of some on the left to minimize the role of the
state in the context of the development of global capital.

There's something of the same notion in Lyotard's "Postmodern Condition"
whre he states "Already in the last few decades, economic powers have
reached the point of imperiling the stability of the State through new
forms of the circulation of capital that go by the name of multinational
corporations. These new forms of circulation imply that investment
decisions have, at least in part, passed beyond the control of the
nation-states."

Granted that Lyotard is not part of the Marxist left, I stil am
interested in finding out who else of note holds to this point of view.
Is this something that is widespread in "post-Marxism". Does anybody on
this list agree with Lyotard and such views?

Louis Proyect