Free Trade

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 22 10:36:08 MST 1995

Here, freshly retrieved from the Marx gopher site at csf.colorado.edu
(under the psn directory), is the exact quote from the 1848 Brussels speech
on free trade:

<quote>
But, in general, the protective system of our day is conservative, while
the free trade system is destructive.  It breaks up old nationalities
and pushes the antagonism of the proletariat and the bourgeoisie to the
extreme point.  In a word, the free trade system hastens the social
revolution.  It is in this revolutionary sense alone, gentlemen, that I
vote in favor of free trade.
<endquote>

Doug

--