dialectics

Jukka Laari jlaari at tukki.jyu.fi
Thu Feb 23 07:03:53 MST 1995

Refreshing, Ralph, very refreshing indeed. Thank you! And yet I have
couple of questions or comments:

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Ralph Dumain wrote:

> ...  One
> doesn't just turn Hegel upside down, one transforms logical method
> and structure in the process.

Yes. Exactly. But how that happens?

> The real problem is that one can't really understand objective
> dialectics until one has understood subjective dialectics.  Put
> simply: how can one understand what a "contradiction" in nature
> would be until one understands the nature of what such apparent
> contradictions mean in thought?

Is it really that simple? (a) "We can't really understand subjective
dialectics until we have understood the objective one." That is as
plausible as your first sentence. (b) How can we grasp or understand what
a contradiction is until we have experienced it factually...? (c) What I
was trying to say was that it sounds quite undialectical to state that it
is the (conceptual) thought of contradiction which finally delivers us
the Secrets of Contradiction (After all, it can be said that we learn at
least something very homologous to logical contradiction much earlier
than we learn to speak and argue conceptually). (d) Isn't that
contradiction of subjective versus objective, or of idealist versus
materialist, one of the very questions that define dialectics?

Jukka Laari