on the chiapas.... (fwd)

Kenny Mostern kennym at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:44:41 MST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 09:37:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Hosagrahar Visvesvaraya Jyoti <hvjyoti at uclink.berkeley.edu>
To: Chetan Chitnis <cec at helix.nih.gov>,
    ashok bardhan <bardhan at haas.berkeley.edu>,
    Padmini Srikantiah <Padmini_Srikantiah at SOM-LRC.UCSD.EDU>,
    subhro guhatakurta <subhro.guha at asu.edu>,
    Jayshri Srikantiah <JQS2338 at ACFcluster.NYU.EDU>,
    Kenneth Mostern <kennym at uclink2.berkeley.edu>,
    Ashish Arora <Ashish+ at andrew.cmu.edu>,
    Sheoli Pargal <spargal at worldbank.org>
Cc: Hosagrahar Visvesvaraya Jyoti <hvjyoti at uclink.berkeley.edu>
Subject: on the chiapas....

>>From: "Kristin Luker" <luker at lotka.Princeton.EDU>
>>Subject: emergency message from Mexico: please, diffuse it as much as
>>possible (fwd)
>>To: fortmann at nature.Berkeley.EDU (Louise Fortmann)
>>Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 14:20:03 EST
>>>From socfaculty-owner at uclink2.berkeley.edu Tue Feb 21 01:46:05 1995
>>To: Sociology Faculty <SOCFACULTY at uclink2.berkeley.edu>,

>>Sorry to bring this news to you but I just received this and thought I
>>should pass it on.  This sounds serious to me, and some of you may want
>>to do something with respect to this news.

tell us that the Mexican army has surrounded the city of San Cristobal in
Chiapas, and that the hospital in the nearby city of Comitan is flooded with
casualities. The press is being excluded from the area. The people being
attacked are the Myan Indians, and other poor farmers, who've been denied
land and food since the conquest.

They've asked that we try to get word about this out via email. While we
have no further information beyond this one call I ask you to pass this
message on, or tell anyone you think relevant via any means so that this
does not occur in silence.