consumerism and freedom

JULES D. TUYES antjdtx at gsusgi2.gsu.edu
Thu Feb 23 15:29:59 MST 1995

Hello all,

Bear with my lack of familiarity with the rhetoric; I'm open to correction.

I am interested in crityiques of capitalism's imaginary "work ethic", and
the idea that one can "purchase" freedom.  Certainly y'all have begun to
notice the corporate appropriation of certain language of anti-oppressive
movements.  Ads by Hyundhai, Nike, and Visa have all suggested that one
can attain certain levels of liberation through the cosumption of their
products.  Considering the dangers of even these particular corporations,
my instincts tell me otherwise.

Let's talk.

Jules David Tuyes                     | "You're walking, and you don't
antjdtx at gsusgi2.gsu.edu               |