Po-Mo Critiques

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Feb 25 00:08:50 MST 1995

All of which raises a couple of questions.  First, does Flax accurately
situate Marxism within the Enlightenment tradition?  (It seems to me that
she does.)  And second, how can "Marxism" respond to this critique, and
remain Marxist?

It's the second one that I have trouble answering...    Andy
<<<

>>>The theoretical conclusions of communists are
in no way based on ideas or principles that have been invented,
or discovered by this or that would-be universal reformer. They
merely express in general terms, actual relations springing from
an existing class struggle, from a historical movement going on
under our very eyes.<<<

Is that not a relativist enough statement? And if a concrete
analysis of the actual conditions of work now mean the proletariat can
no longer automatically be assumed to be the grave-diggers of capital,
does that prevent Marxists, whether they call themselves communists or not,
from looking at the historical movement going on under our very eyes?

...which is... what?