mathematics & dialectics (fwd)

Steve.Keen at unsw.edu.au Steve.Keen at unsw.edu.au
Sat Feb 25 05:13:53 MST 1995

The posting from Alex's mathematician friend is, from my only slightly
less limited knowledge of maths, quite sound. From memory, Godel's
theorem is known as the _Incompleteness_ theorem, not the _Contradiction_
theorem: thus a formal language is unable to prove every proposition
within itself, but it is incomplete, not contradictory.

To my mind, the thing dialectically inclined philosophers call
contradiction is what mathematicians would call a relationship in
a dynamical system (but in much more formal language).

Cheers,
Steve Keen