Aristotle

Charles Andrews chandrews at igc2.igc.apc.org
Sat Feb 25 18:30:35 MST 1995

    Chris Sciabarra confesses that his "own project ... is to
get Marxists out of their theoretical ghetto." I wish he'd said
this earlier. As between Marxists and anti-Marxists, Marxists do
tend to avoid the broad sweep of culture. Perhaps this debate
can end with a story about Dashiel Hammett. When the Senate
Internal Security Subcommittee called him in 1951, the chairman
held up one of his mysteries and asked, "Mr. Hammett, if you
were trying to save the world from Communism, would you want
people to read this book?"
    "Mr. Chairman," Hammett replied, "if I were trying to save
the world from Communism, I wouldn't want people to read _any_
books."