MARX/HEGEL/DIALECTICS BIBLIOGRAPHY 1

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Tue Feb 28 23:17:58 MST 1995

BIBLIOGRAPHY IN PROGRESS:  MARX AND HEGEL, DIALECTICS, LOGIC, AND
THE PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE

compiled and annotated by Ralph Dumain

----- MARX'S RELATION TO SCIENCE -------

Murray, Patrick.  MARX'S THEORY OF SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE.  NJ:
Humanities Press International, Inc., 1990.

This subject rings my chimes, and hence this book was on my list
for some time.  After I met the author, I eventually bought the
book.  I've only started reading sections of it, but it is much
more important than I could have imagined.  I think it will be
enormously helpful in explaining Marx's development, including his
relation to Hegelianism.  This book looks much more sophisticated
than the simply anti-dialectical books that emphasize Marx's
scientific empiricism.  Murray sees that Marx has his own
anti-positivist philosophy of science which puts him at odds not
only with empiricism but with the idealist distortions of all
Hegelians.  Put this near the top of your reading list.

Little, Daniel.  THE SCIENTIFIC MARX.  Minneapolis: University of
Minnesota Press, 1986.

Emphasizes Capital as a scientific theory, and gives little
credence to the notion that Marx had a serious investment in
dialectics.  At one point Marx is discussed as a Galilean
empiricist.

McMurtry, John.  THE STRUCTURE OF MARX'S WORLD-VIEW.  Princeton,
NJ: Princeton University Press, 1978.

Barbalet, J.M.  MARX'S CONSTRUCTION OF SOCIAL THEORY.  London:
Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1983.

Nowak, Leszlek.  THE STRUCTURE OF IDEALIZATION.

Sorry, I don't have a complete or accurate citation, but one must
not forget the Poznan School, which advertises online and perhaps
can explain for us this viewpoint.  I have always been intrigued
by this title, because I was convinced that section 3 of the
general introduction to the Grundrisse was basically congruent
with the notion of "idealization" in science.

-----  UNUSUAL BOOKS ON DIALECTICS  ------

Ilyenkov, E.V.  DIALECTICAL LOGIC: ESSAYS ON ITS HISTORY AND
THEORY.  Moscow: Progress Publishers, 1977.

Not only does Lawler highly recommend this book, but so does a
rabid anti-Marxist I know.  Ilyenkov indeed is the most important
Soviet philosopher of our time to study.

Ilyenkov, E.V.  THE DIALECTICS OF THE ABSTRACT AND THE CONCRETE IN
MARX'S CAPITAL.  Moscow: Progress Publishers, 1982.

Kosik, Karel.  DIALECTICS OF THE CONCRETE: A STUDY ON PROBLEMS OF
MAN AND WORLD.  Dordrecht, Holland: D. Reidel Publishing Company,
1976.  (Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science; no. 52;
Synthese Library; no. 106)

When I read this years ago, I thought it was magnificent.  As I
vaguely recall, this book is not primarily an exposition of
dialectical logic in the usual sense; rather it starts out with a
critique of the pseudoconcrete and investigates the problem of
totality.

-----  DIALECTICS AND THE HEGEL-MARX RELATION  -----

Dupre, Louis.  THE PHILOSOPHICAL FOUNDATIONS OF MARXISM.  New
York: Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc., 1966.

Concentrates on the thought of Hegel and of the young Marx up to
1848.

Lefebvre, Henri.  DIALECTICAL MATERIALISM.  London: Jonathan Cape,
1969.  (Cape Editions; no. 27)

Besides treating the notion of dialectic, this book also has a
section on Max Stirner.

Meikle, Scott.  ESSENTIALISM IN THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX.  La
Salle, IL: Open Court Publishing Company, 1985.

Of atomism, Aristotle, dialectics and the Hegel-Marx relation, and
Capital.

Norman, Richard; Sayers, Sean.  HEGEL, MARX AND DIALECTIC: A
DEBATE.  NJ: Humanities Press; Sussex: The Harvester Press, 1980.
(Philosophy Now; no. 10)

Smith, Tony.  DIALECTICAL SOCIAL THEORY AND ITS CRITICS: FROM
HEGEL TO ANALYTICAL MARXISM AND POSTMODERNISM.  Albany: State
University of New York Press, 1993.  (SUNY Series in Radical
Social and Political Theory)

Williams, Howard.  HEGEL, HERACLITUS AND MARX'S DIALECTIC.  New
York: St. Martin's Press, 1989.

----- SPECIALIZED STUDIES ON MARXISM, LOGIC, AND MATHEMATICS ----

DIALECTICAL CONTRADICTIONS: CONTEMPORARY MARXIST DISCUSSIONS,
edited by Erwin Marquit, Philip Moran, Willis S. Truitt.
Minneapolis: Marxist Educational Press, 1982.  (Studies in
Marxism; no. 10)

Gerdes, Paulus.  MARX DEMYSTIFIES CALCULUS, translated by Beatrice
Lumpkin.  Minneapolis: MEP Publications, 1985.  (Studies in
Marxism; no. 16)

I'm not going to vouch for Gerdes, but he is one of the few to
have studied and taken seriously Marx's virtually unknown
mathematical manuscripts, and he even used this material in his
teaching in Mozambique.

Lambek, J.  "The influence of Heraclitus on modern mathematics",
in: J. Agassi and R.S. Cohen (eds.), SCIENTIFIC PHILOSOPHY TODAY;
Dordrecht: D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1981; pp. 111-121.

Lambek toys with the notion that adjoint functors may be a real
case of dialectical contradiction in mathematics, but mostly he
cites the work of F. William Lawvere, a Marxist-Leninist
mathematician world-renowned for his work in category and topos
theory.  Lawvere has a dialectical interpretation of the whole of
abstract mathematics.  Some of the more philosophically noteworthy
of Lawvere's mathematical contributions are cited here.  I tried
to learn something of category theory fifteen years ago, but it
was way over my head.  Curiously, though, Lawvere constantly cites
Engels and Lenin in his work.

Marquit, Erwin.  "A materialist critique of Hegel's concept of
identity of opposites", SCIENCE & SOCIETY, v. 54, no. 2, summer
1990, 147-166.

Marquit is one of the few perceptive enough to argue against the
usual dialectical interpretation of the paradoxes of motion.  He
argues, as I have stated elsewhere, that the paradox arises not
from viewing motion as a series of static states, but on the
contrary, from freezing motion conceptually to create imaginary
moments.  If Marquit is correct in arguing that Hegel's logical
conception of motion was backwards (some have argued that Marquit
got Hegel wrong), here is at least the possibility of a logical
difference between Hegel and Marx.

Priest, Graham.  "Was Marx a dialetheist?", SCIENCE & SOCIETY, v.
54, no. 4, winter 1990-91, 468-475.

The author, himself involved in the elaboration of paraconsistent
logics, argues that Marx admits true logical contradiction into
his world-view.