THE GERMAN IDEOLOGY -- SOURCES

Philip Goldstein pgold at strauss.udel.edu
Wed Jan 4 05:42:13 MST 1995

	Ralph Dumain writes that Joe McCarney's account of the German
Ideology shows the following: "This whole chapter aims to show that
ideology has no
epistemological status in Marx." I don't know what this claim means. The
discussion cited describes ideology as a source of illusion and error.
THat gives ideology the status of falsehood by contrast with which
science or something represents truth. If ideology has no epistemological
status, it is neither true nor false, not illusion nor reality. Is that
the point? If so, why should we care about ideology?

Philip Goldstein