THE GERMAN IDEOLOGY -- SOURCES

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu Jan 5 23:52:00 MST 1995

People interested in the ideology issue might like to look at my paper,
"The Paradox of Ideology," Canadian Journal of Philosophy, December 1993.
I didn't go into the historical specifics of Marx's account-settling with
the German ideologists (or others); the paper was more in the spirit of a
rational reconstruction of Marx's views and a defense of them in the face
of of some hard objections. I do argue that ideology--I mean the concept
of ideology--has considerable epistemological significance for Marx,
contrary to a view attributed to Joel McCarney in a recent post,
apparently with endorsement. ANyway, it's a good paper.

--Justin Schwartz