Market/planned (fwd)

Richard Wolff rwolff at minerva.cis.yale.edu
Wed Jan 11 10:53:51 MST 1995

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 12:41:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Wolff <rwolff at minerva.cis.yale.edu>
To: kevin quinn <kquinn at bgnet.bgsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Market/planned

	Rejecting foundationalism (absolutism) does mean to embrace SOME
meaning of the term relativism (but not ANY meaning). That is, I do NOT
think of relativism as some assertion of the equality or equivalency pf
alternative theories (of efficiency or anything else). The idea that the
rejection of foundationalism necessarily entails that kind of relativism
that thinks of alternatives as equal and hence deduces that embracing any
of the alternatives as pointless, unwarranted, etc. - that idea is one
promoted by those who seek to make relativism so awful that everyone will
stay with foundationalism/absolutism as the lesser evil.
	The relativism of which I speak is rather the view that
perspectives always have and always will differ AND that we attach
ourselves to one or another perspective (or mixtures) with passion
because of the unique overdeterminations of us as individuals with
particular needs, hopes, commitments, and felings that make one
perspective rather than others dear to us.

R. Wolff