hegemony or class composition

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Jan 17 00:38:18 MST 1995

So I'm curious--

Was my suggestion of a dichotomy between hegemony theory and theories of
class composition so way off-base that no one wanted to deal with it,
even to prove it wrong?  It does seem that both are trying to deal with
much the same issues and topics in postwar society and affecting the
contemporary left--indeed I've recently discovered that Laclau and Mouffe
do use Tronti and Panzieri as support for their project's initial
formulation (_HSS_ 80).

And no one ever explained what they meant by the epistemological status
or otherwise of ideology in Marx...

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Literature Program