foundationalism

boddhisatva foucault at eden.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 22 23:57:13 MST 1995

	 	Mr Schwartz (et al),

	I would say that a return to the concrete could well benefit even the
theoreticians among us.  I was also trying (less than successfully) to say
thatI felt the current foundationalism/overdetermination argument could
benefit by a return to the Marxian method of identifying conflicts, and
proceding from that point.  So really the points are linked.

	As for my interjection about conflicts, I am trying to say that there
is a basis in conflict identification for any argument to procede reasonably.
 At the very worst, the argument could be reduced to a debate whether X is.
or is not a conflict, but could never reduce itself below that.  My criteria
for conflict would be a major unhappiness of such duration or intensity to
appear structural in society.  This would necessarily be relativistic, but
at least impose a clear and "scientific" criterion for argument.

	peace