question from a novice

Michael D. Damore mdamore at moose.uvm.edu
Fri Jan 27 18:25:38 MST 1995

Austin:

	I suggest that you start with a very short book by Ruis called
"Marx for Beginners."  This is a comic book (that's right a comic book),
but it is absolutely serious and does an excellent job o summarizing
Marx's life and thought.  It is a bit doctrinarie toward a M-L bent, but
this view in no way lessens its effect as the best intro to Marx that I
have ever seen.
	I also second whoever suggested the Schmidt "intro to M and E"
book.  Finaly, I would then start reading the old boy himself, but I
would not suggest starting with Capital, because it is a product of forty
years of thinking.  If you really want to understand what Marx is saying
in Capital, then you should start like he did, at the beginning with
works such as the Critique of Hegel, On the Jewish Question, and the 1844
Manuscripts.  Penguin press has a book out called the "Writings of the
Early Marx" or something like that, I suggest beginning there.  Or better
yet Robert Tucker put out and excellent anthology called the "Marx and
Engles Reader"  This has the early works plus excerpts from later
writings like Capital and his historical works, which may be of interest.

Mike D'