Novice question..

SCIABRRC at acfcluster.nyu.edu SCIABRRC at acfcluster.nyu.edu
Sat Jan 28 07:58:15 MST 1995

	I sent off a note to Austin making some recommendations based on the
fact that he is an historian.  I should have "cc"'ed the note... so, I'll just
post to the group some of my recommendations, which might have a more general
interest.

	I told Austin that CAPITAL and Marx's more technical works were not the
place to start.  It is sometimes useful to pick up collections, such as
SELECTED WORKS, IN ONE VOLUME (1968) published by International.  That
collection features everything from "Louis Bonaparte," and "The Civil War in
France," to "Theses on Feuerbach," and the Manifesto.  Another useful
collection is READER IN MARXIST PHILOSOPHY <ed., Selsam and Martel>, which
includes selections on dialectics and the materialist interpretation of
history.  It is also published by International.

	Three absolutely fantastic volumes will point you toward more recent
Marxist scholarship in the area of your particular interest.  Ollman and
Vernoff's three volume work, THE LEFT ACADEMY:  MARXIST SCHOLARSHIP ON AMERICAN
CAMPUSES <vol. 1, McGraw-Hill, 1982, vol. 2/3, Praeger, 1984/1986>.  Volume 1
has a good essay by Michael Merrill and Michael Wallace surveying Marxist
historical studies, "Marxism and History," but it also includes essays on
Marxist scholarship <with some excellent bibliographical material thrown in>,
in sociology, economics, political science, philosophy, psychology, and
anthropolgy.  Volume 2 continues with literary studies, art history, the study
of classical antiquity, education, geography, biology, and law.  Volume 3
continues with feminism, black studies, Puerto Rican studies, Mexican and
Chicano studies, race and class, criminology, health and medicine,
communications research, and social work.  Ollman's DIALECTICAL INVESTIGATIONS
also has two fine essays on the application of dialectics to social analysis:
"Putting Dialectics to Work:  The Process of Abstraction in Marx's Method," and
"Studying History Backward:  A Neglected Feature of the Materialist Conception
of History."  (Routledge, 1994).

	While Marxists and radical thinkers in general, tend to reach beyond
narrow disciplines, aiming for a more "dialectical" and integrated scope, we
should never forget that we live and work in a fragmented academy, and that
works which begin in our own disciplines can naturally lead us to the
exploration and integration of others as well.  Even for someone like myself,
who is quite critical of much of the substance of Marx's theories, there is
much appeal in such a broad-based, fundamentally radical approach to social
theory.

					- Chris
Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra
Visiting Scholar, N.Y.U. Department of Politics
INTERNET:  sciabrrc at acfcluster.nyu.edu
  BITNET:  sciabrrc at nyuacf