Unequal Exchange

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 31 08:18:32 MST 1995

At 9:05 PM 1/30/95, jones/bhandari wrote:

> Crisis in short intensifies all sorts of contradictions, not only the
>fundamental capital-labor one. It is always seemed to me that these
>"pushed-to-wall" firms would be the bedrock of all sorts of reactionary
>anti-monopoly capital politics from which proletarian politics (apologies
>to Postone) must struggle to decouple itself.  I would be interested in
>hearing any thoughts about this.

This is very true. Smallish, national business has long been a more
reactionary force, at least in the US, than big biz - from the New Deal
(small biz hated, big biz found it from tolerable to welcome) to today. The
current issue of Fortune magazine has an article complaining that the new
Republican party is too populist, too dominated by small biz interests that
are hostile to big biz, for the comfort of old-style Fortune 500/country
club Republicans. This fissure can be seen now in the fight over the Mexico
bailout. The presidential nomination fight may well turn on this issue,
with Dole representing the F500 crowd and Gramm or some other raver
repreenting the "populist" right.

An interesting theoretical issue: the American populist right shares a lot
with European fascist thinking, especially on "cultural" issues (religion,
family values, hatred of fancy art, reflexive patriotism), but, aside from
its worship of cops and the military, it is far more hostile to the state
(and other collective entities) and far more friendly to the market. What's
all that mean?

Doug

--

Doug Henwood