Stalin and WWII

zodiac zodiac at gold.interlog.com
Sat Jul 1 17:19:10 MDT 1995

Scott Marshall writes:

> Actually Zhukov was there. His books are actual historical notes of WWII.
> And exageration to ridicule is not good argument - I never said Zhukov was
> the greatest - I said he was as good a general as fought in WWII, in answer
> to the charge that Stalin killed all the good generals.

Correct me if I'm wrong (what a silly thing to say on a mailing list),
but was Zhukov not languishing in jail, another victim of the purges, for
something like being a "German" spy?

I recall some anecdote he related (it may have been another commander).
Here's a heavily paraphrased, shamelessly third hand relation:

After Hitler invaded, various Soviet military personnel were suddenly cleared
of charges. When Stalin saw Zhukov after his release, he asked something like
"Where have _you_ been all this time?" Zhukov: "In prison." Stalin:  "What a
silly place to be in a time of crisis."

But I agree with you.  Zhukov was impressive. Up there with Manstein in the
Wehrmacht in combined forces tactics -- armor and infantry.

SIDE NOTE: I've always had an interest in military history, and played
hundreds of various war game simulations in the late 70s, early 80s (I worked
in the commercial end of the industry). One thing all these simulations had
was a very Nazi-glorification bent. I didn't really care that much, if the
research was thorough and the rules of play reflect of the situation, but
sometimes it was a rather odious stench when it was a shit product with
nothing but a Nazi on the cover. For instance, the largest of these
companies, Avalon Hill, regularly put some steely-eyed Aryan Warrior on the
cover of a game about German operations. Of course, they knew,
marketing-wise, Nazi subjects sell to the American public (look at all the
books).

So it was hardly surprising the simulations industry was rife with romantic
Nazi images. But what _was_ surprising was the anomoly of People's Wargames,
out of California (I forget where). The game designer was Jack Radey, who
professed to be a Communist. Naturally, this made him an exciting enigma in
the trade. (And his games _were_ terrific, well researched historical
documents that were interactive.) He usually focused on important
Soviet victories ignored by the rest of the industry -- like the great
victory of Korsun Pocket in 1944 or a little heard-of Soviet Marine
operation in the Caucasus, as the Nazi offensive of 1942 had run out of
steam.

Anyway -- anyone ever heard what happened to him?

You lurking in this list, Jack? ;-)

Ken.