German military tactics and WWII

Bryan A. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Sat Jul 1 22:35:57 MDT 1995

One reason is the Yugoslav coup.  Hitler was set to launch the assault on
the USSR in April '41.  A cluster of officers in Belgrade overthrew the
Nazi-friendly monarch in an extremely desperate act.  Hitler flew into a
rage and diverted the wehrmacht away from the Soviet border and into the
now-hostile west Balkans.  Belgrade in particular suffered brutal air
attacks.  The Yugoslav army melted away, fading into guerrilla war mode
(mostly under Mikhailovic at this time).  By the time the Germans could
secure their new conquest and return to invading the East, it was June.
We all know how close the Nazis got to Moscow before the snows hit...

Bryan Alexander
Department of English
University of Michigan