Women and the Internet

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Tue Jul 4 06:15:09 MDT 1995

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, Elaine Jude Leyda wrote:

> 	Lastly, you are correct, as far as I know, about women and email.
> But I wonder what they _do_ with it: correspondence? listservs? I myself
> use it for this list, and for the endometriosis list ( a sort of support
> group), as well as for much correspondence. Several women I know surf the
> net regularly; I am one. I have found much of use there, though far far
> more advertising crap than I had hoped to find. But that's how I found
> this list, and the endo one, too.

Louis Proyect:
I have given a workshop on "Navigating the Internet" nearly every month
at the Brecht Forum in NY since last July. A majority of the nearly 200
people attending have been female. Of those females, nearly a majority were
African-American. I can't comment on the gender composition of this list,
but I would surmise from the composition of my workshops that the Internet
is by no means a white, male phenomenon.